Continuing Board Certification: Vision for the Future is a collaborative process that brings together multiple stakeholders including physicians, professional medical organizations, national specialty and state medical societies, hospitals and health systems, the general public and patients, the 24 Member Boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), and others.
The Vision Initiative will help develop a continuing certification system that is meaningful, contemporary and relevant.
The Vision Initiative is actively seeking input from all its stakeholders. On this site, you may share feedback about the Commission and learn how you can engage in the process. Stay informed about the Commission’s work: sign up now to receive monthly email updates.
- Assess the current system of continuing board certification
- Gather feedback from multiple stakeholders
- Conduct a national survey
- Establish a 21- to 25-member Commission
- Develop a set of questions for the Commission to address
- Engage the profession, public, and other stakeholders
- Gather information, hold hearings, and address the initial questions
- Be open, transparent, collaborative and inclusive
- Make recommendations for the future continuing board certification process
- The Commission will present a set of recommendations to the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) and its Member Boards for their consideration and implementation.