Vision Commission Submits Final Report to the American Board of Medical Specialties Board of Directors
The Continuing Board Certification: Vision for the Future Commission (Commission) submitted its final report to the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) Board of Directors. The Commission’s final set of recommendations marks the end of the Commission’s work.
Continuing Board Certification: Vision for the Future has been a collaborative effort that brought together multiple stakeholders to envision a system that is responsive to the needs of those who rely on it and that is relevant, meaningful and of value to physicians.
This ‘Vision Initiative’ included physicians, professional medical organizations, national specialty and state medical societies, hospitals and health systems, the general public and patients, and the 24 Member Boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). Together, they comprised a Commission that led the effort throughout 2018 and early 2019.
The Commission invited and received extensive input from stakeholders. On this site, you may review public testimony that helps inform the future of board certification, and download a copy of the final report released on February 13, 2019. Stay informed about the Commission’s work: sign up now to receive email updates from ABMS.
FOLLOW OUR PROGRESS!
The American Board of Medical Specialties will provide updates so you can learn about the progress of ABMS and its Member Boards as they Achieve the Vision of the Commission:
SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
- Drafted the charge to the Commission
- Gathered initial feedback from multiple stakeholders
- Established the Commission
- Developed a set of questions for the Commission to address
- Included stakeholders in a transparent process
- Gathered information, held hearings, and addressed the Commission’s charge
- Conducted a national survey
- Examined how physicians learn and are assessed today
- Considered how to incorporate new knowledge and clinical information in programs, to help physicians stay up to date in their specialty
- Considered recent advances in educational psychology that may support physicians’ autonomy, mastery and purpose
- Recommendations regarding principles, frameworks and program models for a continuing board certification system that is meaningful and relevant to practice for physicians and helps to improve care for patients
- A report with recommendations submitted to the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) and its 24 Member Boards for their consideration