Commission Appointed, Survey Launched
At our most recent, and the final, meeting of the Planning Committee in January, the 176 submitted nominations for Commission membership were reviewed. The Planning … Read more
Continuing Board Certification: Vision for the Future is a collaborative effort that brings together multiple stakeholders to envision a system that is responsive to the needs of those who rely on it and that is relevant, meaningful and of value to physicians.
This ‘Vision Initiative’ includes physicians, professional medical organizations, national specialty and state medical societies, hospitals and health systems, the general public and patients, and the 24 Member Boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). Together, they comprise a Commission that will lead the effort throughout 2018 and early 2019.
The Commission invites input from all stakeholders. On this site, you may provide comments to help inform the future of board certification, and learn how you can engage in the process. Stay informed about the Commission’s work: sign up now to receive monthly email updates.
- Drafted the charge to the Commission
- Gathered initial feedback from multiple stakeholders
- Established the Commission
- Developed a set of questions for the Commission to address
- Include stakeholders in a transparent process
- Gather information, hold hearings, and address the Commission’s charge
- Conduct a national survey
- Examine how physicians learn and are assessed today
- Consider how to incorporate new knowledge and clinical information in programs, to help physicians stay up to date in their specialty
- Consider recent advances in educational psychology that may support physicians’ autonomy, mastery and purpose
- Recommendations regarding principles, frameworks and program models for a continuing board certification system that is meaningful and relevant to practice for physicians and helps to improve care for patients
- A report with recommendations that will be presented to the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) and its 24 Member Boards for their consideration