How Commission Members Were Selected
The Planning Committee identified members to serve on the Commission based on their interests, background and experience. Commission members will not be representing organizations or groups of organizations; however, some members of the Commission do have experience with different types of organizations engaged in board certification.
The Planning Committee selected a diverse group of individuals to serve on the Commission – diverse in background, experience, and thought. See the list of Commission members.
To ensure diverse perspectives, the Planning Committee identified members who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Practicing physicians who participate in continuing board certification in a variety of practice environments (i.e., private practice and academic health centers)
- Individuals from diverse backgrounds and/or experiences (e.g., age, gender, ethnicity, race, disabilities, practice environment, specialty experience, geography, etc.)
- Experience with and knowledge of patient advocacy and consumer issues
- Experience with and knowledge of hospitals and health systems
- Experience with and knowledge of health care and public policy
- Experience with and knowledge of state and federal legislative and regulatory processes
- Experience with and knowledge of assessment methodologies and programs
- Experience with and knowledge of military and veteran affairs
- Leadership in and knowledge of continuing board certification
- Leadership in and knowledge of medical education across the continuum
- Leadership in and knowledge of quality/practice improvement in medicine
The criteria for the Commission are reflected as a whole in the Commission membership.