Welcome to the first Continuing Board Certification: Vision for the Future initiative update. This visioning initiative process is designed to be transparent, open, and inclusive of input and feedback from a wide range of stakeholders committed to creating a system of continuing board certification that is meaningful, relevant, and of value. These regular updates will help keep you informed about the Vision for the Future initiative’s progress and are one of many ways in which we will engage you and your colleagues in the work of this important initiative. Much has been accomplished since the official announcement of the Vision for the Future initiative in late September.
First and foremost, the Planning Committee, which represents the first phase of the initiative, has been established. The Planning Committee includes representatives from the public and the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), the Coalition for Physician Accountability, Council of Medical Specialty Societies (CMSS) and Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association (AMA) as well as the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). It is composed of the following members:
- Jo Buyske, MD, ABMS/American Board of Surgery
- Sandra Carson, MD, CMSS/American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Joyce Dubow, Public Member
- Jack Evans, Public Member
- Larry Green, MD, ABMS/American Board of Family Medicine
- Thomas Hess, JD, ABMS Public Member
- Lynne Kirk, MD, AMA Council on Medical Education
- Graham McMahon, MD, ACCME
- Thomas Nasca, MD, ACGME
- John Prescott, MD, Association of American Medical Colleges/Coalition for Physician Accountability
- Stephen Wasserman, MD, ABMS/American Board of Allergy and Immunology
- Steven Weinberger, MD, CMSS/American College of Physicians
The Planning Committee will be co-chaired by Norman B. Kahn, Jr., MD, CMSS Executive Vice President and Chief Executive Officer, and Lois Margaret Nora, MD, JD, MBA, ABMS President and Chief Executive Officer.